sábado, 23 de marzo de 2013

Procrastinating Online

I am absolutely in LOVE with this song by Calle 13!!  Seriously, I've lost track of how many times I have played it since I first stumbled upon it.  Truely, I'm progressing with my Spanish and I am so glad that through learning such a beautiful and fun language, I have opened a door to understanding millions of people and their cultures.  Right now, I should be writing my 4-5 pg paper about Los Factores de la Cubanidad for my core class which focuses on Cuban history, people, and culture.  This song--even though it is sung by Puerto Ricans--has been my inspiration.  
I hope you enjoy the video! I really wish I could see it but my internet connection won't allow me to.  But I'm just glad that I have access to the internet--something most Cuban citizens do not.  Speaking with people (mostly the staff at the residency I am living in) has given me an idea of the type of coercion the Cuban government is using to keep its citizens from knowing about the rest of the world.  For example, there is the internet (the world wide web) and the intranet (government run communication for professionals and students).  Just because you can afford a computer (pretty expensive) doesn't mean you can afford to access the internet.  In case you don't believe me, here is a quotation from Wikipedia:

"The Internet in Cuba is characterized by a low number of connections, limited bandwidth, censorship, and high cost. Cuba has an Internet penetration of 1 to 3 percent; making it the lowest rate in Latin America and one of the lowest in the world.[1] The Internet in Cuba has stagnated since its introduction in the 1990s because of the U.S. embargo, lack of funding, and government interaction. The Cuban internet is also among the most tightly controlled in the world."

How I take things for granted....

FYI: Here is a link from Reporters Without Borders for more detail!
http://en.rsf.org/cuba-cuba-12-03-2012,42058.html

2 comentarios:

  1. Wow, the thing about the internet is crazy. How did you hear the song if you can't see the video, which is actually really cool by the way.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I got this song and a bunch of others on my computer via flash drive. Everyone transports music, movies, other forms of entertainment and information via flash drive. And its really funny because people like to watch a lot of Hollywood produced films as well. I was talking to one of the people who works at the residency and she asked me if I wanted to download Argo from her flash drive but I explained my qualms about it. Her response: Really, it wasn't a big deal since everyone does it and it is completely legal here. I wonder how much money the entertainment industry losses with the distribution of intellectual property here and else where...!

    ResponderBorrar