domingo, 17 de marzo de 2013

Super Awesome Week!

AAAYYYOOOOOO!  Sorry for not writing in like the longest time but I'm back so don't be mad. Aight?  Here's a post from last Sunday I meant to put up earlier during the week but I kept forgetting to take a picture of my breakfast...
This Sunday pretty much began like last Sunday.  Yay for yoga! I made a couple friends from my yoga class.  They are two women who happen to teach two of my favorite subjects: English and History!  I can't wait to learn more about Cuban history and to improve my Spanish while helping the English teacher expand her vocabulary.  Before I copy and past last week's post, I'll quickly give you a run down of the most interesting things did this week:

Jueves (Thursday)
A celebration for the closing of the university games at La Universidad de Habana was from 4-9pm but of course I ended up not going.  I did my own thing instead and went to go check out a concert at El Centro Vasco--this fancy shmancy hotel/bar/restaurant.  All by my lonesome, I tracked down the place where it was being held.  I arrived there around 8:45 and the flyer I had with me said that the concert was supposed to be at 9pm but of course it didn't actually start until like 10:30.  The wait was sooooo worth it.  Vale la pena completely!  This really sweet woman invited me to join her table so I did.  Little did I know that she was one of the lead singers of Sintesis, the band that was playing.  The music they make is a mixture of Jazz, AfroCuban music, and rock primarily.  I had so much fun dancing and speaking with a bunch of strangers and I will definitely be heading back there sometime soon!  Here's a link to more info about them: http://www.afrocubaweb.com/sintesis.htm
And some pics!

 The woman with the brighly colored skirt and the locs is the mother of the young woman wearing the gray tank top.  I spoke with Eme, the one wearing the gray tank top for a while in English.  She attended university to study music and has been singing and playing for her whole life.  I also spoke to her husband, a Spaniard for a good amount of time in Spanish.  He told me that I should tell people that I'm from Ghana (where I was born) instead of the US because that would be a lot more interesting.  I'll be doing that more often. 


Viernes (Friday)
I finished my first book in Spanish!! Yay for me! Its a novela titled Y si muero mañana by  Its about 160 pages and I had to read it in two sittings since I can't take any books out from the University of Habana's main library.  So I spent about 15-20 hours for the two days I went to the library.  But it was worth it.  I really enjoyed reading it and now I can take my quiz tomorrow without freaking out.  My Cuban Lit class is the only one of my four classes that is giving me trouble.  I don't have a full syllabus to work with and the professor isn't very helpful. :/ 






Sabado (Saturday)
I went to the national ballet thinking that I was going to see Don Quijote.  The performance wasn't Don Quijote but a series of about 5 smaller ballet performances and a longer piece (about 25 minutes) titled the Magic Flute about a young man who loves a young woman but her family won't accept their union because she is betrothed to a wealthy Marquis.  To get the girl, the young man meets Oberon, the forest god and receives a magic flute which forces people to dance when it's played.  Although there was no dialogue, the dancers moved so beautifully and communicated with their bodies.  It was so lovely! 



1 comentario:

  1. Wow that looks like so much fun!!! It's awesome that you can interact with random people like that. And how's having conversations in spanish? is it difficult at all?

    ResponderBorrar